Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Days go by...

I wonder sometimes why it seems like life moves so much faster as I get older. It seems like when I was young a year took forever to get through. Now I blink and find I'm writing the wrong year on my checks. I'm getting ready to get married, and when we got engaged I planned the wedding for a year and a half ahead so we'd have time to get everything ready and not be in debt or scurrying at the last minute. Now it's near the last minute and we're scurrying anyways. I hate rushing.
I look around, and it seems like more time has passed than I can account for. People who I could swear I haven't heard from in a week tell me it's been months. Bills I think I just paid come due again almost immediately. How fast can weekends go by? I take a nap on Friday after work and wake up and it seems like Sunday night and time to head to work already.
It's sad that I need to occasionally look at the timeline I set up on Chaoscenter in order to remember how long it's been since some things have happened. Like how long I've been out of school (18 years already? or 16 if U count my limited collage time!), or how long it's been since the last time I saw the Demon. I'll think it's been 2 years, and in truth it's closer to 5.
Is it that perception slows down as I age? Or does the monotony of the days cause them to blend in my mind? Or just that my memory is failing as I grow old?
No matter what it is, it's starting to scare me a little. I'm not afraid of growing old, I just don't want to forget how I got there....

3 Comments:

Blogger Kuan said...

Az said
"Is it that perception slows down as I age? Or does the monotony of the days cause them to blend in my mind? Or just that my memory is failing as I grow old?"

I ask myself the same questions my friend and like you it seems that I only turned 40 now I'm 45, it all runs together its called being an adult I suppose.
I find that I have to actually take time, practically steal it to do any art work, writing or reading. Then there are some that are so crazy busy they make me look like a sloth... man someone take the uppers away from the Jones's lmao.... congrats on your upcoming nuptuals my friend and don't worry it slows down again, its called retirement.

Out
Kuan

4:21 PM  
Blogger Ĵōÿ said...

This post really touches something with me. I seriously have been spending some time with these same thoughts. I think we are the same age Jeff. Im 35 until September 20th. But very often, such as the bill thing you spoke of, or saying its been a couple of years about something and my husband saying its been at least 6 or 7 years, blows me away. When my friend told my youngest son the other day she had known me for 17 years I was astounded. I dont know why the time goes by so fast these days, but it sure is a worrisome thing to me lol

3:33 PM  
Blogger Azathoth100 said...

Kuan: Yep, it does seem like we have to steal time to do the things we want. Kind of sad really. 'its called being an adult...' is it just me or when we were little didn't it seem like the adults knew what to do? I always figured by the time you became an adult you either just knew what to do, or had gained enough experiance to know, or maybe at some point someone would give you a handbook to study. Instead I find that I'm just making it up as I go along, like a kid in a adult body afraid someone might notice that I'm still clueless.

Joy: we're close enough to the same, I'm 36 and on the downhill slide to 40. It just seems like I've lost stuff that I did along the way, there seems to have been too many times in my life filled with 'nothing much' that just isn't worth remembering. Kind of makes me feel sometimes like I should have done more with my life.

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home